- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 hamburger buns, slit open and toasted
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add beef and cook, breaking it into large pieces, until browned and cooked through; approximately 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper, and garlic and cook until softened, 6-8 minutes. Reduce the heat slightly; add the spices and cook until fragrant; about 1 minute.
- Add the liquids and return the beef to the pan. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar and mustard. Stir to combine. Return the reserved beef to the pan.
- Mash the beef with a potato masher and mix it with the sauce.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, about 15 minutes, or until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed. To serve, spoon onto the toasted buns.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min