This inexpensive meal will be a frequent repeat on your weekday dinner playlist!
1 pound ground turkey (or beef)
1 large chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 cup chopped carrots (can add mushrooms or peas)
1 cup potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup low sodium beef broth or water
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice (can use brown rice, barley or farro)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble meat into a large skillet.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink.
- Drain the fat.
- Stir in the carrots, potatoes, broth or water and rice (or barley/farro).
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the rice and vegetables are tender. (Brown rice and barley take longer to cook).
- Stir in soy sauce, salt and pepper.