Lately, we’ve been spending a little more time at home than usual. This means we spend a lot more time staring at our outdated kitchen, old paint colors, and ugly window treatments.
The only thing standing between you and your dream home is finding piles of cash for funding it, right?
Maybe not. Lucky for you, you don’t need to spend a fortune to give your house a new look. Check out this list of home-improvement hacks and learn how to upgrade on a budget.
1. Cabinet makeover Instead of dropping a ton of money on replacing your kitchen cabinets, you can give a tired kitchen a fresh new look by replacing just the cabinet fronts. You’ll pay a fraction of the price, and no one will know it’s your old, shabby cabinets hiding behind those beautiful new doors.
Want to go even lower-cost? Consider painting the front of your cabinets to upgrade the look without spending much money or time. You can also replace those dated cabinet knobs with something nicer and trendier for a more modern look.
2. Cover your counter tops with contact paper Granite counter tops can be gorgeous, but they’re also incredibly pricey. Instead of spending a fortune for beautiful counters, try covering them with pretty, patterned contact paper. You’ll find loads of granite lookalikes at home improvement stores and you can learn how to apply these covers neatly from DIY tutorials on YouTube. You might even fool your friends and family into thinking it’s the real thing. But don’t worry: We won’t tell anyone your secret!
3. Use PVC pipes for curtain rods Pretty curtains and drapes add a splash of color and personality to any room. You can make your own inexpensive curtains by picking up some fabric from a sewing supply store. The only issue? You’ll need rods to hang up those curtains — and if you need specific measurements and colors, that can get pricey.
Make it happen with this hack: Use PVC pipes instead of curtain rods. You can paint your pipes to match the decor of the room and hang them with inexpensive hooks that fit well. Curtains, done!
4. Create a mirrored back splash All you need for this fantastic hack is a pack of self-adhesive mirror tiles, which retail for about $15 per 20-tile pack and can be found online or at a home improvement store. Use your snazzy tiles to create a mirrored back splash in your kitchen. Decorate with inexpensive decals to up the glam or just leave it bare. The mirrors will give the illusion of greater space and you won’t have to deal with grout and caulking. It’s a super-cheap way to make your kitchen sparkle!
5. Slipcover your sofa If your sofa is hopelessly stained and you’d love to update it, but can’t spare the cash, try covering it in a slipcover. You can find a leather-looking slipcover to match the shape of your sofa for $100 or less. They’re not just for protection; the right slipcover will give you an (almost) brand new couch! Make sure you read reviews before purchasing, because quality really makes a difference here.
6. Let the light in Light fixtures can really make or break an area in your home, and you don’t have to spend a fortune to get it right. Walk through your home and take note of the light fixtures that are relics from a past life, paying close attention to highly visible areas. Then, take a trip to a home improvement store or check out sites like Wayfair and Hayneedle for trendy, striking light fixtures. For less than $100, you can give your house an entire new look!
7. DIY paint If the walls in your home desperately need fresh coats of paint, look no further than your local home improvement store. No, you don’t have to be a genuine DIYer to get this right; it’s fairly simple. You’ll find loads of painting tutorials on YouTube, and you’ll only have to spring for the actual paint plus a few supplies. Best of all, when you’re in charge, you can get as creative as possible. Using painter’s tape and your imagination, you can paint funky designs on your walls, like diamond contrasts, vertical and horizontal stripes, or, if you’re feeling really artsy, go for a full-blown mural!
These hacks will make your home beautiful this spring for just a bit of money. If you need more major home improvements that require serious cash, though, we can help. Call us at 800.877.4444 or stop by your nearest OE Federal branch today to ask us about opening a line of credit or taking out a home equity loan.